Sunday, January 6, 2008

Flashback Neil


My old dad went a walkin' one day,
Pushing tall weeds
Right outta his way,
My old daddy went a walkin' one day,
Hey now, hey now



I've checked with the cool police and they give Neil Young their big shiny badged approval, which is a good thing because I happen to dig him. Why is he cool? Because his voice is raw, rugged, wear and tear to the soul, that's why. It's something we feel when it's not all purdy. Every time I listen to a Neil Young song I want to go out and buy a damn harmonica and hop a train. When I was a teenager I had a chance to see him in concert, but passed on it because I needed to study for a test. I don't remember if I passed the bloody test, but I failed to see one of the coolest legends ever! That I regret.

For some reason I often think of my dad when I hear Neil. My dad has a similar simplicity and a rugged way about him. Here's to my dad, Neil, missed opportunites and things that don't come with a polished finish.



Neil Young - Daddy Went Walkin'
Neil Young (live)- Old Man
Neil Young - Long May You Run
Neil Young - Heart Of Gold

No comments: